Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reading Response Logs

Hi everyone,


Just got in from a super fun night! In celebration of Read Across America week, our school holds a Reader's Theatre for the entire school.  Teachers volunteer and perform a play for the students.  Little me got to be the BIG Billy Goat Gruff.  Tons of fun!  Anyways, I was reading over some of my students writing and I was reeeally impressed.


I HAD to share our Reading Response logs with you!  Everyday my kiddies read for 30 minutes.... They read 15 minutes during school and 15 minutes at home.  They choose 5 books everyday from leveled bins.  These books go EVERYWHERE with them.  The next morning they get to exchange for 5 more books at their level.  




After they choose their books, they place them in their "Book Bag".  This goes home with them every night.

If you look closely, you will see a reading log.  Parents sign it everynight after their child reads for 15 minutes.


I knew my firsties were ready for a weeeelitttle more.  I decided to have them respond to their writing.  I created three different pages of topics (fiction and nonfiction) they can choose from.  I stapled the page into their notebook and the writing began!


Take a look...


How awesome is that for first grade writing?  

Here's another.....


How stinkin' cute?

If this is how they are writing NOW, I can only imagine what it's going to be like after responding for two months!  
~Proud Teacher Moment~   :)


If you want to try using these Reading Response Logs, 
you can find them 

(here)

Thanks for stopping by!

Happy Teaching,

Teresa


7 comments:

  1. Hi! I am so glad I found your blog on TPT - I am your newest follower ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I did something very similar when I taught in the intermediate grades. Reading & Writing regularly make such a difference!!

    I popped over from the Teacher's Toolkit Kindergarten Blog linky. I'd love for you to visit me!

    Amy
    Happy Teacher Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You should be a very proud teacher. I am a Firstie teacher too so I know by the end of the year they will reeeeaalllllllyyyyyy be amazing! I love your form. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. I just shared some leprechaun *freebies*.

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the writing they are doing in their reading responses. You should be really proud of them!

    Amy
    Teaching in Blue Jeans

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of teachers performing for Read Across America! You must be so proud of your students! They look like very thoughtful readers.
    Forever A Teacher, Forever A Learner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I found your blog on the TpT forum and I am your newest follower. I would love for you to check out my blog when you get a chance! :)

    As a former 2nd grade teacher, I would be overjoyed for the students to have this level of writing entering 2nd grade!! And, your students wrote this in February! WOW! I am impressed.

    I also love how your little one said that Australia sounds like a place she'd like to visit...ummmmmm, me too!!! Just think, you and this story she wrote about might be instilling her future travel bug! So cute!

    Beth :)

    ReplyDelete